Monday, November 19, 2012

Kayaking the Kearny Marsh

Steve and I, victorious and covered in mud (well.. I was covered in mud, anyway)

Wow. Wowowowowowow. Kayaking the Kearny Marsh (freshwater, access from Gunnell Oval) is an amazing experience. I can't believe we've been in North Jersey for years and hadn't yet discovered it. This Saturday we had perfect kayaking weather- cool, crisp air but warm in the sunshine, not a cloud in the sky, a slight breeze every now and then. Add great company, views of the NYC skyline and tons of birds (and I think I saw a turtle) and you have The Perfect Kayaking Day.

I am so. sore. It feels great!

Steve got to try out his brand new (to him) Pelican Eclipse- it's an awesome kayak. It's wider than mine (an Ocean Kayak Frenzy), has a drink holder in the middle, and there's no need for scupper plugs. It's got a tie-down area in the back for a satchel, extra shirt, or whatever you want to store. You can even cross your legs in it if you wish. Plus the paint scheme is pretty amazing. The Frenzy is more canoe-shaped, curling up in the front and back, while Steve's Pelican has a flatter bottom and top. It also has a rudder, which I suppose is neat but doesn't allow for dragging around.

We definitely need to get Steve a new paddle, though- the one that came with the Pelican (used) is absolutely horrible- it's heavy and messy. It's a bit short, and for some reason absolutely soaks the paddler- all three of us tried it and all of us wound up wet from the knees down; it just rains water down on you when you bring the paddle up and out of the water. The oar is not built for speed, so the paddles aren't curved... and you can't dig into the water with it.


My dad and I use English fiberglass racing paddles, and the difference from Steve's oar is just incredible, both look-wise and performance-wise. Not sure what the brand is... can anyone identify?
(Update: The paddles are by Ainsworth)



 We had a really lovely time paddling through the tighter spaces into the wide-open waters. It was a bit of a trek from the gravel parking area through the reeds, over the train tracks, down the path and into the quicksand mud, but totally worth it.

Can't really tell from this... but Dad was soaked
Getting out of the water proved challenging as Dad ("Ramming Speed") flipped the kayak and wound up drenched from top to bottom in freezing cold marsh water, and I stepped into quickmud up to my knee. All in all, a great day. I'm so excited that Steve has his own kayak now, and all three of us can go exploring together. And what a phenomenal workout and excellent complement to our hiking!

Now all we need are roof racks, a new paddle for Steve, some disposable waterproof cameras to bring with us on our trips from now on (there was no way I was bringing my phone or my camera into the water with me) and some rope to help us get out of the water when we aren't putting in from a pier.





1 comment:

  1. The paddles are made by Ainsworth.

    http://www.ainsworthpaddles.co.uk/



    ReplyDelete